The Land List -- Credits and Bibliography
The Land List -- Credits and Bibliography
The Land List started out in 1992 as a
spare-time-excuse-to-avoid-working-on-my-masters-thesis. It is the
product of compiling together information gleaned from numerous Polaroid
sales brochures and instruction manuals, not to mention several books
and other resources-- including direct observation of the products themselves.
Much of the depth of the Land List would not be possible without the
contributions of fellow Polaroid Land Camera fanciers, including
(but not limited to):
Following is a bibliography (in no particular order) of some of the larger
works which have served as reference material for this site. Those who
wish to learn more about Polaroid products and/or Edwin Land may find this
a useful reading list.
- Hendrik de Gids, a Land Camera collector from the Netherlands, who has
even written at least one magazine article on the subject.
- Georg Holderied, SX-70 experimenter, and author of the fine web
The Hacker's Guide to the SX-70.
- Mike Johnson, who has provided lots of tidbits found from his own
research into Land camera history.
- William Sommerwerk, a collector and owner of many unusual Polaroid
items, who has often sent in comments / clarifications / corrections about
material found on this site.
- Bruce Tidball, who has provided helpful information in
identifying some of the otherwise undocumented variants of Polaroid
- Mag. Edtberger Franz, a Polaroid collector from Austria, whose
own Polaroid camera 'catalog' has provided great assistance in expanding
the coverage of International-market Polaroid camera models here.
- Bob Huber, another Land-collector who has contributed information
about some unusual Polaroid accessories and products.
- ...and the friendly folks at Polaroid Customer Support, which have been
ever-so helpful even if they don't always have the answers to my oddball
historical trivia questions. :-)
- Wensberg, Peter C. Land's Polaroid (A Company and the Man Who
Invented It). Boston: Houghton Mifflin. 1987.
- This is a rather well-written biography of Edwin Land and of the Polaroid
Corporation in general. Peter Wensberg worked at Polaroid from 1958 to
the mid 80's (when he left as executive vice-president shortly after Land's
departure), and so much of the book is written from this point of view.
Definitely an informative and entertaining read.
- Polaroid Corporation. The First Thirty Years: 1948-1978 (A Chronology of
Polaroid Photographic Products). Cambridge: Polaroid Corp. 1978.
- This is a large pamphlet (29 pages) which Polaroid published to celebrate
the 30th anniversary of the Land camera. Most of the information in The
Land List regarding international (non-US) camera models was taken from
this reference, actually.
- Wolbarst, John. Pictures In a Minute. 2nd and 3rd ed.
New York: American Photographic Book Publishing. 1958, 1960.
- This very well-written users guide to Polaroid cameras would
be a must-read for anyone who would like to learn more about technique and
usage regarding Polaroid rollfilm cameras, if Polaroid Land rollfilm was
still available, at least. This book (in all its editions) was very
popular in its day, and was at least considered quasi-official by the
Polaroid Corp. In some ways, one might think of it as the Polaroid equivalent
to Kodak's preennial title How To Make Good Pictures. There was also
a special version of this book which dealt specifically with the J66/J33
automatic "electric-eye" cameras.
It appears that John Wolbarst did not write equivalent books for the
later generations of Polaroid cameras, but I'd like to be proven wrong on
- Editors at Popular Photography magazine. Polaroid Land Photography.
New York: A.S. Barnes. 1963.
- Popular Photography magazine published this special instructional book
and portfolio of Land photographs as an introduction to the then-brand-new
Last updated 11/28/2002
"Polaroid", "Land Camera" and other camera
names are trademarks of Polaroid Corporation. No endorsement
or approval by Polaroid Corporation is implied, nor is Polaroid
responsible for the accuracy of the content of this web site.
All information is provided on an 'as-is' basis; the author of
this site is not liable for damages of any sort (financial, physical,
or otherwise) which might arise from the use (or misuse) of information
on this site.
Contents Copyright © 1992-2002 by Martin (Marty) Kuhn /
All Rights Reserved Worldwide
Land List Legal / Privacy Info